That’s right, Memorial day has passed and summer is officially here! Time to break out the ‘white’ clothes and put the Ugg’s away! Summer comes with warmer weather and longer days. I don’t know about you, but having more sunlight hours makes me feel more motivated and productive.
Gone are the winter gloves, hats, and boots. It’s time to bring out the BBQ accessories, beach items, and dare I say it, camping gear? So, how do we organize our summer days to include “sun and fun” and still maintain an organized home?
Here are 7 tips to an organized summer:
- First thing I would suggest is clear out school backpacks of books and papers. Then sort through your kids winter clothing to make room for the summer clothing to be put in closets. I usually recommend doing this with your child so they can be a part of the process.
- As school is over, it’s important to set up a schedule for the family. Everyone should have at least one “cleaning or organizing” task that they are responsible for. Hopefully, some of these tasks will even carry over into the fall.
- Take some time to sort through your own closets and file your papers. Make time to work on projects you “put off” for summer downtime.
- Designate a spot for your outside items, such as, grilling tools, outdoor tableware, sunscreen, bug repellant, and other assorted objects. I find an outdoor shed, bucket, or trunk do the job well.
- Store like items together. For example, keep all sunscreens in one spot (usually in a Ziploc bag to avoid leaks) and let the family know exactly where to access these items. ( I would also keep a sunscreen in your daily bag to reapply as needed!)
- If you don’t have the luxury of a mudroom, outdoor hooks or a plastic laundry basket are great ideas for storing sandy beach towels and bags.
- Keep beach/pool items together so you do not waste precious time running through your home looking for towels, toys, and sunscreen.
Getting and staying organized throughout the summer is not very difficult to maintain, it just takes a little planning and proper set up. As I complete writing these tips, I will reward myself with and iced coffee and pool time, Luckily, my pool bag is already set up so all I have to do is grab it and go! Happy summer everyone!!!
Miriam Gold, Professional Organizer